Co-sponsored by Boulder Body Wear and the University of Colorado Department of Theatre & Dance, the Boulder Jazz Dance Workshop (aka BJDW) is held each summer on the CU Boulder campus. The Two-Week Intensive, July 22 – August 4, is for ages 15 through adult (dancers who are 15 please see this requirement), with classes in a variety of genres. There are performance track classes for dancers who choose to perform and/or choreograph in the workshop’s full theatrical dance production. A certificate for teachers and college credit for students enrolled in specific classes is offered.
Our weekend program includes two workshops: Our original Weekend Workshop (July 20-22) provides intermediate thru advanced dancers, 12 and older, a sampler of diverse classes. The Commercial Dance Intensive (July 20 & 21), for advanced dancers, 18 and older, prepares dancers to audition for and land a great dance job, with industry experts as instructors.
The Boulder Jazz Dance Workshop started in 1978 with the idea of providing a supportive and growth-oriented environment where dancers could study jazz dance and perform. This idea has remained intact, yet the BJDW has evolved and changed so much that at times we wonder if our name still fits. In terms of jazz styles, our focus is wider than the early years, with an emphasis on contemporary jazz styles – although some of our teachers do draw from classical jazz and others may whip out an 80’s & 90’s inspired combo now and then! Rather than attempting to strictly define jazz, the BJDW provides students with diverse classes led by unique dance artists who teach in their own styles.
The Boulder Jazz Dance Workshop is held at the University of Colorado, on the beautiful C.U. Campus, in the heart of Boulder. Boulder has been featured in magazines such as Newsweek and Money as one of the “most livable” cities in the U.S. According to Sunset magazine, “If heaven has a college town, it’s probably as beautiful as Boulder.” Nestled against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Boulder’s famous mountain parks, city-wide network of biking and pedestrian paths, as well as restaurants (dubbed “America’s Foodiest City” by Bon Appetit!) and shopping, are all only a short walk from the campus.
- Airport: The closest airport to Boulder is Denver International Airport, a brief shuttle ride away from Boulder. Here is a link to the City of Boulder website for more info on Boulder.
What we offer students
- A chance to study a variety of styles for two dance-packed weeks with master teachers from across the U.S. in a uniquely inspiring environment.
- Classes held in the University of Colorado dance studios on the beautiful CU campus.
- An opportunity to choreograph for and/or perform in faculty-choreographed pieces, in a full theatrical performance in the Irey Theatre.
- The opportunity to meet and become friends with dancers from around the world.
- A college level dance experience for dancers 15 years of age and older. (Our Weekend Workshop on Friday July 20, Saturday July 21 & Sunday July 22 is open to dancers 12 years of age and older.)
- A Commercial Dance Intensive for ages 18 and older that will include the opportunity to audition for Celebrity Cruises in a private agent call audition.
The main tenets of our mission are:
◊ To approach dance education as a way to feed both body and soul
◊ To inspire dancers thus renewing or igniting a greater passion for dance
Our goals include:
◊ Expanding dancers’ concepts and understanding of the definition and limits of jazz dance
◊ Offering a well rounded dance curriculum with diverse, high caliber teachers
◊ Providing a dynamic and exciting learning environment that downplays competition in favor of focusing on “personal best”
◊ Providing a supportive setting in which students can receive feedback on their choreography and perform their own works in a professional setting
◊ Supporting the growth of our students, not only as dancers but as human beings.
Co-owners of BJDW, LLC:
Lara Branen – Co-founder, Executive/Artistic Director
Nini Coleman – Graphic Designer, Web-designer, Webmaster
Chris Harris – Assistant Executive/Artistic Director, Co-Director Student Performance
Daniel Morimoto – BJDW General Manager, Registrar
Heather Woolley – BJDW On Site Manager
Other Administrative Staff:
Christy McNeil Chand – Student Advisor, Co-Director Student Performance